8.30.2006

Mercenary for hire (or, how to be an 8-man)

We had our first game over the weekend--we whupped Frederick 68-0. Pretty crazy considering most of us have only played together for 3 weeks!

Of course, I didn't score, but that was the least of my concerns--I was the 8-man (so named b/c of the number 8 jersey you wear at that position). It's a far different position than what I was used to playing--as a center/wing, you tend to stay away from the rucks and mauls (the piles o' players, in layman's terms)... not only did I learn how to scrum on the fly, but I was told I had to be the first person to break from the scrum, first to ruck, first to tackle. And let me tell you, I have a whole new level of respect for forwards! I really had to pace myself b/c I was running all over the damn place.

The best part was at halftime--the coach goes "where's deb?" and when he found me, started flipping out about what an awesome job I was doing, and how I totally surprised him b/c he thought I'd be timid out there. It's crazy--I thought I was half-assing it b/c I got so tired, but I guess I was in the minority!

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 10:20 AM, September 14, 2006, Blogger Jeope said...

You're a tiger! Sounds awesome!

 
At 4:25 PM, September 14, 2006, Blogger lew! said...

so is this like full-on contact rugby .
hmmm that sounds like a contradictory question...

I guess as you are playing as a hobby, does it get really rough? Or are people more out for a good time?

I am just curious since i am in a non-check (contact but no big hits) hockey league.

 
At 1:21 PM, September 29, 2006, Blogger deb said...

there aren't any levels of full-contact rugby, it's either tackle or two-hand touch (which is a ridiculously fast game that i have yet to master). you have elite teams and then you have competitive teams--these are broken down into Division I or Division II.

rugby teams are pretty good about leaving it on the field, in part b/c you have to socialize with the other team afterward (basically a keg party and drinking songs). most of the teams we play are pretty friendly, but that doesn't mean they won't have your number during the game!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home