11.24.2006

season in review...

Life lesson #678: don't use body wash with "gentle exfoliation beads" right after playing 80 minutes of rugby on dead grass. There is nothing gentle about it when you've got 80 microscopic cuts on your legs...

The fall rugby season wrapped up November 11; we beat Salisbury Univ. 42-7. I got the closest I ever got to scoring--2 yards before the try line--before I got brought down, but not before I dished the ball off to my flanker, who charged in for the score. I don't think assists are an actual stat in rugby, but the coach seemed pretty excited about my effort, to put it mildly ;)

That game was the best game I've ever played in 4 years of rugby... I lost count of how many tackles I made, nearly scored, I even blocked a punt! That totally made up for the last time I played Salisbury 5 years ago, when I was back in college, got drilled from behind and got a concussion.

We finished the season 4-1, pretty damn good for an inaugural season. The PRU might speed up our admission process so we can start qualifying for playoffs a year earlier than normal (traditionally, you have to be in existence 2 years).

I'm definitely hooked back into rugby again; this is a great team. I feel like I'm not only learning the game better, but actually applying what I learn to each game. I'm in much better shape than I've been in ahwile; although this offseason I'm focusing on my endurance!

Oh yeah, and my toenails have grown halfway back in. (If you missed the gross-out fest back in August, my two big toes swelled up and had to be drained. Which leads me to life lesson #679: ALWAYS break in your cleats.)

evil_toenail_sm.jpg

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 8:48 AM, November 27, 2006, Blogger Anonymous Me said...

Glad your toenails are growing back! :-)

 
At 4:37 PM, December 05, 2006, Blogger Jeope said...

Hey, that's a nice sketch!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home