1.23.2007

thank you cards

My sister gave me a set of watercolor notecards for Christmas; I used two of them as thank-you notes for other Christmas presents. This created the perfect opportunity for me to dive into my recent purchase, Type Style Finder, an incredible source of newer fonts by some of the more well-know type foundries.

I picked out individual letters from various fonts in the book, scanned the ink drawing, and used the ghetto carbon-transfer method (pencil scribbled on the back of the paper, the letters traced over on the front of the paper) to leave a light impression of the word on the card. I inked in the letters using a Pilot Precise pen (V7 Fine), which is fairly waterproof once dry.

I then proceeded with the watercoloring... the trees were a last-minute addition. I took a very minimalist approach, since I wanted the letters to be the focal point of the piece, but the words felt bare and unfinished without a flourish behind them :)

xmas-thankyou2s.jpg
xmas-thankyou1s.jpg

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 10:16 AM, April 13, 2007, Blogger Anonymous Me said...

Yay for purty pictures! Can't wait to take the water color course (even though you clearly will need the "advanced" course while I will need the "too bad to even be considered a beginner" course!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home